By Donna&Danielle on January 7, 2018
We have been snowed in here for the past few days. I have binged watched enough television so today I decided to “play” in the kitchen.
I take my lunch with me to work. Salads and bento boxes and yogurt and fruit are good but there are times I would love a sandwich without using those precious carbs. Enter, Cloud Bread. This bread has minimal ingredients none of which are flour or grains. It is light and airy as you might guess by its name and makes a great sandwich. I do think when I take it to work for lunch that I will pack the sandwich makings separately and assemble it when I am ready to eat.
The ingredients include 3 eggs, a pinch of cream of tarter, a pinch of sea salt, 1/4 teaspoon of honey and 1/3 cup non fat Greek yogurt. Yup, that’s it! The finished product reminds me of cream puff shells ( and who doesn’t like cream puffs?). It tastes a little eggy but not overwhelming. Best of all 2 rounds count as 1 protein.
So today was a perfect day to give this recipe a try! These were easy!
You need to separate the eggs placing the egg whites in one bowl and the egg yolks in another. Add cream of tarter to the egg whites and whip them with a hand mixer until soft peaks form. Set that bowl aside. Next add salt, honey and yogurt to the egg yolks and mix with a hand mixer until just combined.
Gently fold about 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Repeat with remaining egg whites.
Using a spoon gently transfer 6 scoops of the batter onto a cookie sheet sprayed with olive oil. Gently spread each into a thick pancake shape, about 3 inches around.
Bake until golden brown, about 25-30 minutes. They should be crispy on the outside.
Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an air tight container.
A sandwich bun that is grain free and carb free. It is light and airy and requires minimal ingredients! One serving only uses 1/2 red container on the 21 Day Fix Portion plan.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 large eggs
- pinch of cream of tarter
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 1/3 cup non fat or reduced fat plain Greek yogurt
- Heat oven to 300° F.
- Lightly coat large baking sheet with spray. Set aside.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites.
- Place whites in a medium bowl.
- Place yolks in a separate medium bowl.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites.
- Beat with a mixer on high until stiff peaks form, 4 - 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Add salt, honey and yogurt to egg yolks.
- Beat egg yolk mixture with a mixer on medium until just blended.
- Gently fold ⅓ of egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Gently fold in the remaining egg whites until just incorporated. Do not over mix!
- Using a spoon, transfer 6 scoops of egg mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Gently spread each mound into a thick pancake shape about 3 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and outside is crispy to the touch.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven and immediately loosen cloud breads with a spatula.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container.
- On the 21 Day Fix or Portion Fix Plan one serving (2 rounds) counts as 1/2 red container.
Adapted from Beachbody
Adapted from Beachbody
Coastal Girl Food n' Fitness http://coastalgirlfoodnfitness.com/