Quick Korean Beef
By Donna&Danielle on March 20, 2016
Have you ever rummaged through your refrigerator and freezer looking for something to fix for dinner? Something healthy but with a lot of flavor? Something quick? But you can’t seem to find a thing?
That was me a few nights ago. I seemed to have a refrigerator, freezer and pantry full of food but could find nothing to fix for dinner that was quick and mouth watering! I was tired of chicken and rice, tacos, salads, eggs…… Then in the very bottom of the freezer I came across some organic grass fed lean ground beef. In the refrigerator was some leftover rice and quinoa mix. Further searching found the rest of the ingredients (except for green onions) to make Quick Korean Beef. I love this dish! This recipe takes just 20 minutes to put together (using left over rice makes it even quicker) and it will make your taste buds dance!
Traditional Korean Beef called bulgogi uses thin slices of sirloin meat. This can be a bit pricey. However this recipe is not only quicker but less expensive as it uses ground beef. And it is full of flavor! I do splurge and buy organic ground beef but if you are on a budget feel free to use whatever lean ground beef is on sale. The recipe calls for 1 -2 Tablespoons of sweetener. I tend to use less rather than more sweetener. Honey, maple syrup or Agave syrup work well. In place of soy sauce I use Braggs Liquid Aminos (no one seems to notice the difference but I know it is healthier).
You will put this together in a flash and everyone will enjoy it! But beware! Although it makes 4 servings, hubby tends to eat three! This has become one of his favorite meals! It also freezes well. Serve it with a salad or steamed vegetable and you have a complete meal!
Note: If you are trying to avoid carbs this dish is also yummy as lettuce wraps! Use Boston or butter leaf lettuce. Place spoonfuls of beef on a lettuce leaf and roll it up!
Quick Korean Beef
Quick, easy, healthy dish ready to eat in 20 minutes! Serve with a fresh green salad or steamed vegetable for a complete meal!
- 1-2 Tablespoons organic brown sugar, maple syrup, or honey
- 1/4 cup Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2-3 teaspoons olive or coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Cooked rice or rice quinoa mix, for serving
- Mix the brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes and ginger in a small bowl
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add minced garlic and and chopped onion.
- Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks.
- Drain fat from beef.
- Stir in soy sauce mixture until well combined, allowing to simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with rice and sprinkle with green onion.
- This dish is also yummy as lettuce wraps! Use Boston or butter leaf lettuce. Place spoonfuls of beef on a lettuce leaf and roll it up!
Coastal Girl Food n' Fitness http://coastalgirlfoodnfitness.com/