Healthy Appetizer: Mini Mango Prosciutto Wraps
By Donna&Danielle on December 6, 2015
It is holiday time and that means parties. Are following the 21 Day Fix or other clean eating plan? If so thinking of a healthy appetizer to bring to a party can be challenging. Finding one that is quick and easy to put together after a busy day is equally hard. Vegetable and fruit trays are good but ordinary. These Mini Mango Prosciutto Wraps fit the bill. They are quick and easy. Only five ingredients are needed and no cooking is required. Just cut and assemble. And they are adorable. These little wraps will disappear right off the plate!
The sweetness of the mango coupled with the saltiness of the prosciutto compliments each other perfectly. Prosciutto can be expensive so at times I have substituted paper thin ham. The deli counter can slice it for you, just request that it be paper thin.. There are many kinds of ham. My favorite to use when I don’t use prosciutto is country ham. You can purchase pre-sliced prosciutto which is most likely already paper thin. The amount of meat used for each bite is minuscule, only a ¼ inch strip. Just enough to wrap around your little mango bundle to hold it together.
I am not so good at slicing mangoes. I often butcher them. So to save time and frustration I purchase pre-sliced mango at the store. Yes, it is more expensive but saves me time and frustration! It is also much less messy. Anything already pre-sliced saves time when you are in a hurry!
Too add a little variety I have substituted different fruits for the mango. Apples and cantaloupe work well. I think that pears would be good as well. I usually use arugula leaves but have used spinach leaves as well. You could also use a combination of the two. So experiment with different combinations to find your favorites and enjoy this versatile little appetizer!
Mini Mango Prosciutto Wraps
A easy but delicious appetizer that is healthy, quick to prepare and only requires 5 ingredients!
- 1 large Mango
- ! ½ cups loosely packed arugula or spinach leaves
- 1 (1oz) package fresh basil
- 4 paper thin slices of prosciutto or ham
- fresh coarsely ground pepper
- Peel mango and slice it into 16 ¼ to ½ inch slices
- Cut the prosciutto/ham into ¼ inch wide strips.
- Rinse and pat dry the arugula/spinach leaves and basil.
- Stack in this order: 2 arugula/spinach leaves, 1 basil leaf,1 slice of mango.
- Wrap the center of each bundle with a prosciutto strip.
- Arrange to bundles on a platter and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper.
- These can be made ahead of time and refrigerated with a damp paper towel placed on top.
- Try substituting different fruits for the mango such as apples or melon.
- Purchase pre-sliced mango to save time.
- Makes approximately 16 bundles.
Coastal Girl Food n' Fitness http://coastalgirlfoodnfitness.com/