By Donna&Danielle on October 21, 2015
Who doesn’t love Nutella? It is the perfect excuse to eat dessert for breakfast or lunch or dinner or anytime… It is good on toast, bagels, fruit, as a dip, on crepes, waffles, cold or hot or on a sandwich with bananas… or by the spoonful. However buying it in a jar isn’t exactly on the clean food list. Determined to not give up all the foods that we enjoy we tried several recipes (nothing more fun than experimenting with chocolate) and have come up with a Cleaned-Up Nutella that we love! Best of all it is quick and easy to make. No refined sugar in this recipe! The hardest part is finding the raw hazel nuts. We finally found them by the bag at Trader Joes. A food processor is a must for this recipe to achieve a smooth texture. If you have a Vitamix, I think that the texture would be even smoother. We like adding almond milk but you can use water. We think the almond milk gives it a better consistency and flavor. This delicious chocolate spread keeps in the refrigerator for about a week although I bet it disappears in less time. How do you like to eat Nutella?
- 2 Cups raw Hazel Nuts
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup organic agave syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup almond milk depending upon what you need
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Place the nuts on a baking sheet and roast them for 8 – 10 minutes. Watch them closely, be careful not to burn them!
- Rub the nuts together in a paper towel to get the skins off, or a least most of them. I do about 5 or 6 at a time.
- Place the hazelnuts in the food processor and process until they turn to butter!
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until it is well blended and smooth. Pulsing it on and off for about 2 minutes should do it.
- Scoop it into a glass bowl or jar and let it cool.
- Store it in the refrigerator if it makes it that far!
We hope you enjoy this yummy treat as much as we do!