I love going to our local Farm Stands! The veggies and fruits look so colorful and pretty. I stock up for the week but often my meal plan gets sabotaged and changes. Then I open the refrigerator and discover that I have vegetables that need to be used pronto! One of my favorite ways to use up fresh vegetables is by making a grilled vegetable orzo salad. I grab all the fresh vegetables, slice dice and grill! I never make the salad the same because I always have different veggies needing to be used up. This can be eaten as a side dish or a meal and can be served warm or cold. I often add grilled shrimp when we eat it as a meal.
Grilled Vegetable Orzo Salad
Servings: Makes 6-8 servings
2 cups dry organic whole wheat orzo
2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, pepper to taste
2 small zucchini sliced and quartered
2 small-medium yellow summer squash sliced and quartered
1 small red or sweet onion cut in ½ inch cubes
1 pepper (green, yellow, orange or red) cut in ½ inch – 1 inch pieces
2 cups fresh green beans
(Note: The veggies filled a 12 cup bowl, you can add or sub your favorite veggies. We use whatever is in the fridge.)
3 tablespoons store bought pesto
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ teaspoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons red vinegar
¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil
2 cups cherry/grape tomatoes cut in half and seeded
1/3 cup shredded parmesan romano cheese
Cook orzo according to pkg directions. Drain. Rinse with cold water; drain well. Transfer to large bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon oil.
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Whisk 1 tablespoons oil and salt and pepper.. pour over veggies and toss. Whisk pesto, lime juice, remaining oil,garlic salt and remaining tablespoons vinegar in small bowl for pesto vinaigrette.
Grill veggies until desired doneness. We like them chared. About 3- 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a bowl. Add to bowl with orzo. Add the vinaigrette, tomatoes, and sliced basil, to the bowl. tossing to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the parmesian romano on top. This can be served right away or chilled. To make a meal of it add honey grilled shrimp.
Grilled Vegetable Orzo Salad
Tastes like summer!
- 3 tablespoons store bought pesto
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red vinegar
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 cups cherry/grape tomatoes cut in half and seeded
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan romano cheese
- Cook orzo according to pkg directions.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Transfer the orzo to large bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon oil and set aside.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Whisk 1 tablespoons oil and salt and pepper; pour over vegetables and toss.
- Whisk pesto, lime juice, remaining oil,garlic salt and remaining tablespoons vinegar in small bowl.
- Grill veggies to desired doneness is achieved; About 3- 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer vegetables to a bowl.
- Combine vegetables bowl with the orzo.
- Add the vinaigrette, tomatoes, and sliced basil, tossing to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan Romano on top.
- This can be served right away or chilled.
- To make a meal of it add honey grilled shrimp.
Coastal Girl Food n' Fitness http://coastalgirlfoodnfitness.com/